Friday, June 17, 2011

Yielding to God

So I received a letter recently that told me that I should not go on this trip and that, as a mother, I needed to sacrifice my dreams for the well-being of my child. I was offended by this letter, but I was proud of the person for having the courage to send me the letter in the first place. I know others feel the way this person felt but were too afraid to actually say anything to me. The following are my feelings and response to the letter.

I know that every time I go on a mission trip overseas that I am going to be met with resistance or misunderstanding. Before attending church this past Sunday, I had really prayed about what I needed to do. It is never too late to back out of a trip like this. But then, Jeff, our pastor, spoke words from God that really touched my heart. He was talking about how much he liked to be in control (a characteristic that anyone who knows me knows that I have as well). He said that we must yield to God's will and give up our control in order to walk in His ways. I have yielded to God in this matter completely. Jeff also said that ignorance is what leads us to be afraid. I'm not saying the people that are afraid for me are ignorant. I'm saying fear of the unknown is a way for evil to do work in our hearts and minds. God has a plan for me in Cambodia and I know that whatever His will is will be done. He is going to work through me and in my heart.

My response to the letter I received is this:
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’" Matthew 25:40
I am going to be with the poor and sick and in doing that, I will be with the Lord and I will see his face in all of the women and children that I meet in Cambodia.

No comments:

Post a Comment