Thursday, July 7, 2011

Travel, Travel and More Travel

Today was another big travel day. We got up in the morning and went to ride on the bamboo train. It was a crazy experience.

Our "train"

This is how it works: You get onto a bamboo platform that has two axles. It also has a motor attached to it. They start the motor and off you go.

This kind of shows the "driver" with the motor.

The only problem with the bamboo train is that there is only one track for going and coming traffic. When one car gets close to another car, the car with less people jumps off, disassembles their car (since the bamboo platform and axles are not connected to each other by anything permanent), and pulls the pieces aside so the other train can pass. Once everything is clear the axles are put back on the track, the platform is put back on the axles, and the passengers hop back on and go. The people of Cambodia used to transport their rice this way. After we got our joy ride for the morning, we traveled up the mountain to one of the killing fields from the Pol Pot regime. We got to the bottom of the mountain, only to find out that the only way to get up to the top was to take a motor bike. This meant riding on the back of a moped/motorcycle up a steep hill. I was a little nervous about this but I was kind of excited too. Me and my moto driver. Kinda freaked out!

It was a fun experience and I'm really glad that we got to do that. We got to the top of the mountain and toured the mass grave. The soldiers would drop the people into the cave that we walked into, essentially turning it into a mass grave.

The cave that we walked down into to see the memorial and to learn more about the killing fields.

The Pol Pot regime killed many, many people and the effects of the killings are still felt today in many areas of Cambodia. We toured around the site and it had an amazing view of the valley. You could see for miles and miles. It was wonderful! God truly has created beauty in this country beyond my wildest dreams.

The view from the top of the mountain.

After that we had lunch at the Culinary Training Center. Josh will be staying there for the next few days to teach them and then he will join the group in Phnom Penh. Lunch was delicious! Originally they were supposed to make pizza, but the power was out in the city from 8am to 5pm so the only things that they could make were things that they could make on the stove. We had two different types of pasta with chicken wings and vegetables. The girls did a wonderful job! After our superb lunch, we had to board the bus and endure the 5 and a half our drive back to Phnom Penh. I did a lot of sleeping, reflecting and listening to some of the sermons on my iPod. We had a little change of plans too when we finally reached Phnom Penh. The power is out in the province where our original hotel is. Instead we are staying at a different, much nicer, hotel...sadly just for tonight. It's the only reason that I actually have pictures as a part of my post tonight. Now I'm just typing all of this getting ready for bed.

Today was emotionally draining, but not as much so as visiting Rapha House. Seeing the mass grave that was associated with the Pol Pot regime was hard, but it didn't touch me in quite the same way as seeing the young girls that had been sexually exploited. I did a lot of self-reflection on the bus on our drive. I've been listening to some of the sermon podcasts on my iPod from a series of sermons at Common Ground that are very pertinent to my own personal issues going on at home. I think that they are really going to help me process a lot of things and help me to begin seeing certain aspects of my life in much healthier ways. There are a lot of people in the group that have really helped me to think and reflect and process. God has truly brought together a fantastic group. This trip was definitely something that I needed. I miss Lola and I miss everyone at home, but it's nice to be taken out of my element, put in a place where I am surrounded by people who know God, and be made to talk about issues and situations that I have been brushing aside for many years now. God knew this trip was exactly what I needed at a time when I needed it. I am so grateful for everyone who helped me make it here. Without them I wouldn't be having this wonderful experience and I know that it is going to change me for the better. So from the depths of my heart, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment